Casting Directors are looking for new talent for the theater production titled, Passing. The production is adapted from Nella Larsen’s 1929 novella. Passing refers to racial identification particularly African Americans and mixed-race individuals who passed as Caucasians throughout history for a variety of reasons.
The story is told through the lens of two childhood mixed-race friends that reunite after many years, and discover the different paths their lives have taken; one deciding to pass as a white woman, while the other has remained engrossed in the upscale African American community that existed in 1920s Harlem.
Date: May 6th
Where: Washington D.C.
What: Theater Roles
Open Call Auditions for production that will be in the 2017 DC Fringe Festival:
You may audition with a 90-second monologue of your choice but please be prepared to do cold readings as well. Scripts will be provided at the audition.
– Two main female roles: Clare and Irene. Character age range is 24 – 34 years old.
– Two roles: Bryan: Character age range 24-34 and John Bellew. Character age range is 28 – 38.
– Other supporting roles also available: Felise/Zulena, Hugh/Waiter/Detective, and Gertrude
– When: Saturday, May 6, 2017 from 1:00-4:00pm
– Where: Shaw Watha T. Daniel Neighborhood Library, 1630 7th St NW, Washington, DC 20001
– Producers: Nileah Bell and Mary Nyingi
– Director: Andrew Watring
– July 8, 9, 15, 16, & 19, 2017 Fringe Festival
This production will take place in Washington D.C. and continue through the summer.